For many of us, the holidays mean coming together with friends and family over delicious foods. But now that you’re plant-based you may be going through your recipe book and realizing some of your holiday favorites don’t quit fit the bill for your new lifestyle.
You can have your plant-based cake, and eat it, too! We’ve gathered some of our favorite whole food plant based holiday recipes for you to enjoy with kin this season.
12 last minute WFPB recipes for the holidays
- Oil-Free Breakfast Sausage Skillet - Worried now that you’re plant-based your days of hearty breakfast dishes are behind you? Our whole food plant-based Veggie Sausage is the remedy to your woes! This five-ingredient skillet recipe uses our Veggie Sausage to make the ultimate savory holiday breakfast.
- Blueberry Lemon French Toast - Sometimes you want to indulge a little at breakfast time, especially over the holidays. This Blueberry Lemon French Toast from MamaSezz Chef Caroline uses flax seed instead of eggs and is one of our favorite perfect plant based holiday recipes for when you've got a little extra time on your hands.
- Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats - CleanFoodDirtyGirl show us that steel cut oats don’t have to take forever, thanks to the wonders of the Instant Pot. Fast, easy, and incredibly versatile - add your favorite toppings and you’ve got yourself one hearty and healthy plant-based holiday breakfast.
- Quick and Easy Falafel Bites - Give your holiday a Mediterranean inspired twist with these super easy Falafel Bites from Chef Caroline. And yes, they really are oil free. It’s true! These falafel bites are NOT deep fried and yet they're still so simple, healthy, and delicious. Pair with your favorite whole food plant-based sauce (we love this tahini sauce from Tori Avey).
- Healthy Texas Caviar - With inexpensive ingredients and a protein punch, this Healthy Texas Caviar from The Garden Grazer is the perfect crowd-pleasing holiday dish...and being dairy-free, gluten-free, and oil-free it’s suitable for most dietary preferences!
- Vegan French Onion Dip with Dill - Pass the oil-free chips! We recommend you double the yield for Veggie Inspired’s dairy-free take on a holiday party favorite as it won’t last long. You can also enjoy with raw veggie or whole grain pita.
- Vegan Walnut Pesto Stuffed Sweet Potatoes - One of Chef Caroline’s favorite things to do? Stuff veggies with other veggies! This year, blow your holiday guest away with this Vegan Walnut Pesto Stuffed Sweet Potato dish. It’s unique, it’s comforting, it’s delicious, and it’s so incredibly healthy. And this last minute WFPB recipe is packed with nutrients - like beta-carotene, vitamin C, fiber, iron, and calcium - to keep you plant strong through the New Year!
- Stuffed Acorn Squash with Wild Rice - Another stuffed recipe, this acorn squash dish is high in nutrients AND flavor. It’s also a great recipe for a sit-down family dinner as it feeds 6 holiday eaters. And thanks to the wild rice, you can be sure you’re getting your protein and your fiber over the holidays.
- Vegan Portobello Instant Pot Pot Roast - Wanting to keep it traditional this holiday season with your plant based holiday recipes? There’s nothing more Americana than a pot roast! And this one from A Virtual Vegan isn’t just plant-based, it’s ready in 25 minutes! That’s right! No laboring all day over dinner. (Note: sub the sugar in this recipe for whole food plant-based sweetener like date syrup.)
Sweets and Sips:
- Turmeric Latte - Subtly sweet, aromatic, and anti-inflammatory (thank you turmeric!), this caffeine-free delight is the perfect way to top off your holiday meal.
- Whole Food Gingerbread Cookies - Eating a whole food plant-based diet but don’t want to give up your favorite holiday treat, gingerbread cookies? Kristina DeMuth’s recipe for vegan gingerbread cookies has no refined sugars or refined flours but all the scrumptious holiday cookie flavor (and aroma) you know and love.
- Spicy Black Bean Brownies - You may not think black beans and brownies go together, but Veganosity proves not only that they do, but that they should never part! This last minute WFPB recipe is oil and refined sugar free. Decadent and spicy, they’ll become your go-to holiday party dessert. (Oh, and it’s always fun to see the look on the faces of your friends and family when you tell them they’re made with black beans after they’ve mowed down a few.)
Looking for super kid-friendly last minute WFPB recipes?
The littlest ones at your holiday table will love these vegan recipes for kids.