We love us some oatmeal, but sometimes you want to indulge a little at breakfast time, especially on the weekends. This Blueberry Lemon French Toast is the perfect plant-based breakfast for when you've got a little extra time on your hands. Whether you're whipping it up for a Saturday brunch with the family or enjoying by yourself, this sweet favorite is a delicious way to start the day (plus it's packed with fiber, vitamin C, antioxidants!).
Suitable for: Plant-Based, Vegan, Vegetarian
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Method: Stovetop
6-8 slices of whole grain bread
2 TBS of ground flaxseed
1/4 cup of hot water
1 tsp of cinnamon
1/2 tsp of nutmeg
1 tsp of vanilla extract
a pinch of sea salt (use black salt for an "eggier" flavor)
1 cup of plant-based milk (suggested: West Soy soymilk)
1/2 of a lemon (juice and rind)
1 cup of frozen blueberries
1-2 TBS of maple syrup
- Whisk together flaxseed and hot water, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in spices, salt, and vanilla extract.
- Whisk in flax mixture to plant-based milk (I recommend almond, coconut, or soy as a heart healthy option).
- Soak whole grain bread in the batter, and pan fry in a NONSTICK pan on low heat. Cooking without oil takes a little more energy, so make sure to shift the toast around in the pan every few minutes using a spatula
- Once crispy, flip the toast, and brown the other side
- While the toast is cooking, mix the lemon, blueberries, and maple syrup together and microwave, or heat on the stovetop for a few minutes until soft
- Once toast is crispy on both sides, drizzle with blueberry syrup, and (use a zester or fine grater) sprinkle the toast with lemon zest from the rind of the lemon.
Blend ingredients together until smooth
Want more healthy plant-based recipes?
Join our 2-Week Plant-Based Challenge for a crash course in plant-based eating PLUS 2 week's worth of delicious and easy plant-based recipes. Sign up here.