You don't need to rush out and spend a bunch of money on plant-based kitchen tools. The truth is - you probably have most of what you need already. Here are our must-haves for your plant-based kitchen.
The Full Story
Worried that if you transition to a whole food plant-based diet you'll have an ill equipped kitchen? Don't go out and spend all your money on complex devices just yet. While fancy kitchen gadgets can be fun…they’re not always necessary for plant-based cooking. You can absolutely make healthy and delicious meals at home using some simple tools (many of which you probably already have).
The plant-based kitchen tool basics:
- Can opener so you can open all those cans of beans.
- A large non-stick frying pan or cast iron skillet.
- A stock pot for soups.
- At least 1 regular sized pot for cooking up those hearty grains.
- A good sharp knife for chopping.
- Wooden spoons.
- A colander.
- A spatula.
- Tongs for tossing salads and stir-frying vegetables.
- Mixing bowls, including a big whopping salad bowl.
- 2-3 cutting boards. One smaller and one larger — you’re going to be doing some chopping!
- Measuring spoons and cups, both liquid and dry on the latter.
- Peeler for vegetables.
- Baking sheet for roasting veggies.
- High-speed blender for smoothies, cashew cream, soups, vegan ice cream, etc. The Ninja and Vitamix both work great. The Ninja is typically a lot less expensive.
- Parchment paper. Now that you’re oil-free, this is a great way to prevent anything from sticking to pans when you roast or bake.
- Some glass food storage so you can store pre-chopped veggies and leftovers. (Mason jars work great for smaller items and oil-free salad dressings and sauces.)
The nice-to-have plant-based kitchen tools (that you can get by without, especially in the beginning)
- Tofu press. This is a cool tool but you can just put tofu on a plate wrapped in paper towels (or a clean kitchen towel to be more eco-friendly) and cover it with a cast iron skillet for 30-60 mins to get the water out.
- Instant Pot or Crockpot. The instant pot is essentially a pressure cooker on crack that can make meals very quickly -- like 20 minutes. It's got lots of functions, servings as a slow cooker, a pressure cooker, a rice cooker, steamer, browning pan, and warming pot. It has a whole cult following, especially in the whole food plant-based community. A crockpot, if you're not ready to drop over $100 on the Instant Pot, is a great lower cost option for those who can stand to wait a few hours for a slow-cooked meal. Pop your ingredients in the crockpot to slow cook in the morning and you'll have dinner ready at night.
- Immersion blender. These are great for making creamy soups but if you have a high speed blender you can just pour some of the soup in the blender, too.
- Grill pan or basket.
- Food processor. Have LOTS of veggies to chop, daily? Investing in a food processor can save you time in the prep department. You will, however, have to wash it afterwards so better for big jobs if you're not interested in washing the processor every time you whip something up.
- KitchenAid Mixer. If you’re going to be big into whole food plant-based baking, go for it. But I found I hardly used mine, even when baking.
- YoNanas to make creamy and delicious vegan"nice" cream. You can also use your blender with this plant-based ice cream recipe.
Prefer to have someone else to do the plant-based cooking for you? Get whole food plant-based meals delivered to your door, already cooked. Browse hearty and delicious ready-made meals here.
MamaSezz is the leading whole food plant-based prepared meal delivery company in the U.S. We make it easier for you to be your healthiest self by delivering hearty, fresh, ready to eat whole food plant-based meals with no B.S. (you know, Bad Stuff) right to your door.
The BEST environmentally friendly home service!!!!!! THE BEST "ship to home" meal service out there! Hands down. The food is delicious - just enough flavoring that you can jazz the meal up with your own spices if you wish. Nothing is bland or overly spicy. BEST OF ALL - they include a shipping label for you to RETURN all the packing materials to them for FREE for reuse until ready for recycling. Environmentally OUTSTANDING!!!! SO easy and enjoyable. And the vegan menu is superb. [Allison Hall, MamaSezz Customer]