Want to go plant based but not sure how to replace eggs? Worry not. There are plenty of whole food plant-based substitutes. Keep reading to get some of our best plant-based hacks to cook and bake without eggs.
How to bake without eggs
Eliminating eggs, without a substitute, is not usually an option while baking. Eggs bind your baked good together and keeps them from falling apart. Plus they can help to make your finished product fluffy. If you forgo eggs altogether, you’ll end up with some crumbly dry results. Instead, swap out the eggs for these whole food plant-based egg replacers:
1 egg = Mix 1TBS of ground flax seed or chia seed with 2 ½ TBS of warm water. Let the mixture sit for 8 minutes. Once it has reached the consistency of an egg, add to your recipe.
1 egg = Add ¼ cup of applesauce into your recipe.
1 egg = Mash 1 banana with a fork until smooth, and add to your recipe. Banana is a great egg replacer but keep in mind you will taste the banana. If neutral is what you’re after, try applesauce.
1 egg = 1/2 ripe avocado, mashed. Note: this will add a greenish tint to your dish so keep that in mind. It works really well with anything chocolate because the chocolate color overpowers the green, like this raw cacao pudding.
1 egg = 1/4 cup natural peanut butter or other nut butter. Note: nut butters have a strong flavor so best if using in recipes that call for a peanut buttery taste (i.e. peanut butter cookies).
How to replace your breakfast eggs
For Scrambled Eggs:
- Use extra firm organic tofu. Make sure to press it first to get the water out. Squish it through your fingers and sauté with turmeric, black pepper, and sea salt or Tamari. Add nutritional yeast or cooked veggies for additional flavor! Add black salt for a more eggy flavor.
- You can also use chickpeas to make a delicious whole food plant-based breakfast scramble. Process chickpeas until they are in halves and quarters. Stir fry with turmeric, black pepper, and sea salt or Tamari. This option will turn out less fluffy, but is more compliant with the WHOLE part of WFPB. Add nutritional yeast or your favorite veggies for additional flavor! Add black salt for a more eggy flavor.
Don’t want to cook your own scramble? MamaSezz cooks and delivers our heart healthy turmeric chickpea scramble to your door, already cooked.
For an Omelet:
- Blend silken tofu in your food processor with turmeric, black pepper, ground flax seed and sea salt of Tamari. Again, for a more eggy flavor add black salt. Poor into a nonstick pan and cook covered on low, until tofu begins to bind. Once tofu holds together, add your favorite veggies and nutritional yeast to the middle, fold and enjoy!
- And did you know you can use chickpea flour to make omelettes?! It’s true. This chickpea omelette from Vegan Richa is whole food plant-based and is table-ready relatively quickly. Remember to use a nonstick pan!
You don't need eggs to make delicious meals or baked goods! Some of favorite egg-free tips:
- For baking, use ground chia or flax seed, applesauce, mashed banana, ripe avocado, and natural nut butter
- To replace scrambled eggs, whip up scrambled tofu or check out MamaSezz Turmeric Chickpea Scramble
- Make a vegan omelette with silken tofu or chickpea flour!