Cooking with MamaSezz: BBQ Pulled Jackfruit with Spicy SlawWritten by MamaSezz Team
Plant-based myth: you can't eat BBQ anymore. I'm happy to bust this one because not only is it not true, it's not even close! Summer is the perfect time for backyard BBQs, lunch by the lake, or dinner on the deck...and that goes for plant-based folks, too. Don't believe me? Meet BBQ jackfruit.
This BBQ pulled jackfruit and spicy slaw sandwich will not only satiate your BBQ cravings it also won't weigh you down so you can still carry on with all your summer activities, whether it's badminton, corn hole, or running through the sprinklers with your kids.
So mow down, get up, and go outside and play. Summer won’t last forever!
Serves: 3 to 4
Prep time: 30 minutes
2 handfuls cabbage (I recommend purple)
1 handful shredded carrot
½ lime (juice)
2 TBS apple cider vinegar
2 tsp maple syrup, agave, or date syrup
2 tsp ground mustard seed
Salt and pepper to taste
BBQ Pulled Jackfruit
1 can Jackfruit in brine*
1 cup plant-based BBQ sauce
Water to cover (about 2 cups)
3 or 4 Plant-based, whole-grain (or GF) buns
1 red onion
4 TBS plant-based BBQ sauce
1 Avocado, sliced
1 hefty handful fresh cilantro
- Add rinsed and drained jackfruit, BBQ sauce, and water to a stovetop pan and simmer on medium-high until sauce reduces (about 20 minutes)
- While jackfruit is cooking, shred cabbage and carrots
- Mix shredded veggies with vinegar, maple syrup/agave, lime juice, ground mustard seed, salt and pepper. Note: this slaw is designed to complement the sandwich, and may be spicy on it’s own
- Once jackfruit is cooked, shred it with 2 forks and remove from pan
- Slice buns, and toast in the remaining BBQ sauce in pan over medium heat
- Load buns with jackfruit, 1 TBS BBQ sauce, spicy slaw, several slices of red onion, between ¼ and ½ of a sliced avocado, and a few sprigs of fresh cilantro
- You may need a few napkins.
*Jackfruit can be found in the Asian Foods section at select grocery stores. It can also be found in most Asian markets, at Trader Joe’s or online (Amazon). To make your jackfruit extra crispy and delicious, after simmering spread it out on a baking sheet and broil for 10 minutes before adding it to your sandwich.
By The MamaSezz Team
← Older Post Newer Post →