Cooking with Caroline: Black Bean Veggie Wrap with Creamy Avocado Dressing
Introducing Cooking with Caroline, our latest weekly plant-based recipe segment from Caroline DiNicola Fawley. For those of you in the Brattleboro area, you may recognize her from our Vermont store. What you may not know, is she's also a fantastic cook! In fact, she works in our Keene kitchen, helping to whip up some your favorite MamaSezz plant-based meals every week. Clearly, she's a Renaissance woman. And now, every Monday, Caroline will offer up some of her favorite quick and easy plant-based recipes for when you want to eat healthy but don't feel like spending all day long in the kitchen.
This week, I want to introduce you to your new favorite summer lunch: Black Bean Veggie Wrap with Creamy Avocado Dressing. Filling, yet refreshing - perfect for a hot day! Some people are intimidated by making their own dressing but I assure you, if you've got a blender and five minutes, you can make this creamy avocado dressing. And once you do, you'll see not only how easy it actually is to make, but how much tastier (and healthier) homemade dressing is than the bottled stuff.
Serves: 1 hungry herbivore
Cook time: 15 minutes
1 plant-based, whole-wheat wrap or GF wrap
1 handful fresh cilantro
½ ripe avocado, sliced
¼ cup sliced red pepper
¼ cup fresh tomato, diced
½ cup canned black beans with liquid
1 tablespoon chopped green onion
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1 handful arugula
1 pinch chili pepper
2 pinches salt
2 pinches pepper
- Boil black beans, garlic powder, 1 pinch of salt, 1 pinch pepper, 1 pinch chili pepper, and the juice from ½ lime until liquid evaporates (about 5 minutes)
- Dressing: blend 1/3 avocado with the rest of the lime juice, 1 pinch salt, and 1 pinch pepper until smooth
- Place cooked beans in wrap. Add sliced veggies, avocado, arugula, green onion and cilantro
- Drizzle avocado-lime dressing over the veggies
- (Optional) Fold into wrap and place in pan on stovetop until the wrap is crispy on both sides
What you should do now
- We have been where you are and we’ve helped thousands of people (just like you) transition to eating a plant based diet. If you are looking for a guide that can help you with some of the big questions, and dramatically reduce your stress, this FREE Ultimate Little Guide to Plant-Based Eating is a great place to start.
- If you’d like to learn about plant-based living go to our Heartbeet Journal where you can read hundreds of “How To” articles. If you’d like to learn about plant-based cooking go to our Recipes Section for easy step by step favorites.
- If you’d like to work for us—or see why our team members love working for us—then contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about yourself.
- If you enjoyed this article, then so will your friends, so why not share it on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Email