I’m a comfort food girl…and it turns out, comfort foods and healthy foods aren’t mutually exclusive. Don’t believe me? Meet Nacho Mama’s Fries.
The only difference between these plant-based nacho fries and classic nacho cheese fries is that you won't feel uncomfortably full (and a wee bit sick) after finishing off a plateful.
Serve these at your next party, make them for date night, or enjoy by yourself while watching Netflix (check out What the Health while you’re at it).
However you decide to enjoy them just remember: when it comes to plant-based whole foods you don’t need to worry so much about portion control or calorie counting… so fire up your oven and enjoy. You deserve it!
Serves: 2 as a meal; 3-4 as an appetizer
Cook time: 1 hour
2 medium russet potatoes
1 red pepper
1 handful fresh cilantro
3 green onions
½ cup soaked, raw cashews
¼ cup nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon tamari
chili flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven 450 degrees. Boil 4 cups water in teakettle or on stovetop.
- Wash potatoes, and chop into thick French fry sized pieces (somewhere between 1/2 - 1/4 inch thick)
- Soak potato strips in boiling water for 10 minutes (the water should not be boiling while potato’s are soaking)
- Pat potato strips dry
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper, and arrange potato strips on sheet in a single layer (stacking potato strips will lead to soggy fries!)
- Bake 20 minutes. Flip each fry. Bake 20 more minutes.
- While fries are baking, dice the red pepper.
- Dice onion. Separate into two equal piles. Chop one pile into smaller pieces.
- Dice tomato, and divide into two equal piles.
- Mash two avocados with juice from one lime, a pinch of sea salt and a pinch of pepper
- Mix mashed avocado with ½ of the diced tomato, and ½ of the onion (with the smaller pieces) to make guacamole. Set aside
- Chop green onions, and cilantro. Set aside
- Blend soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, water, turmeric and lemon juice until it reaches a thick, creamy consistency. Set aside
- Sauté the diced red pepper and the rest of the onions with tamari and a tablespoon of water until veggies are cooked but still a little crunchy
- Once fries are done baking, remove from the pan and toss with a pinch of sea salt, a pinch of pepper, a pinch of chili flakes (optional), and a pinch of garlic powder
- Top fries with sautéed veggies
- Drizzle fries and veggies with the cashew sauce
- Top with the rest of the diced tomato, and then the guacamole
- Garnish heavily with cilantro and green onions
- Sprinkle with sea salt, pepper and lime juice to taste
- Enjoy! You may need a fork
BONUS: add Mama Sezz “Millie’s Chili”
By The MamaSezz Team