Summer is here and what better way to kick off the warmer weather than with homemade dairy-free ice cream? The incredible thing about whole food plant based (and refined sugar-free) ice cream: you can go back for seconds without blood sugar spikes and crashes, plus no sugar hangover. This treat both satiates your sweet tooth and fuels your body. This means more hiking, more swimming, more summer fun!
Before we begin: got a sweet tooth?
You're gonna love the MamaSezz High Protein Breakfast Bar (which is essentially a vegan blondie topped with brownie mix). And dare we say it pairs perfectly with any of these dairy-free ice cream recipes below.
OK, back to your scheduled programming...
On this page
1. Chocolate peanut butter chunk banana ice cream
2 frozen bananas
¼ a cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ a cup of all natural peanut butter
1. Blend ingredients until smooth.
2. Enjoy right away for soft serve, or freeze for a few hours for a harder scoop.
2. Avocado Lime Ice Cream
¼ a cup maple syrup or date syrup
2 Tablespoons of lime juice
14 oz of canned, full-fat coconut milk*
A pinch of sea salt
*you can swap out coconut milk for non-dairy milk of your choice - the creamier the better
1. Blend ingredients in a blender until smooth.
2. Pour into a container (and loaf pan works great) and freeze overnight.
3. Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream
14 oz of canned, full-fat coconut milk
½ a cup of nondairy milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
A pinch of sea salt
1. Blend ingredients and freeze in an ice cube tray overnight.
2. Crack into the blender and blend until smooth.
3. Enjoy right away as soft serve, or freeze for a few hours for a harder scoop.
1. Date caramel sauce
This whole food plant based date caramel sauce is about to be your new refined sugar free obsession.
2. Vegan Chocolate Sauce
Soaked cashews make for a creamy vegan chocolate sauce that's ready in 5 minutes!
MamaSezz Strong Heart Beets Ice Cream
This dairy-free sweet treat isn’t just, a healthier alternative to ice cream, it’s straight up good for you thanks to the power of beets! Made from MamaSezz Strong Heart Beets and frozen bananas, this rose-colored dessert is naturally sweet and loaded with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, the works! Get the recipe here.
By Caroline DiNicola Fawley
Caroline is a plant-based chef, recipe designer, and whole food plant-based nutrition educator, with a Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate from the T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies.