What do banana peels and pulled pork have in common?
If you know the answer, you're probably pretty deep in the whole food plant-based diet world. The rest of you might be thinking, "wow, vegans really ARE crazy!" And to you, I'll tell you the answer: you can use banana peels to make vegan pulled pork.
Seriously, you can!
And here's the real kicker: it's actually surprisingly delicious! Like, really really delicious. Paired with just the right spices and MamaSezz Original BBQ sauce (oil and refined sugar–free!) and you'll never believe you're eating banana peels.
And don't worry; they are actually really good for you, and they're even a good vegan source of B12!
Ingredients2 banana peels
1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
1 teaspoon of dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon of cumin
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 a cup of MamaSezz Original BBQ Sauce
1. Peel 2 bananas. You can freeze the insides for vegan smoothies later!
2. Use a grapefruit spoon or a regular spoon to scrape inside pulp off of the peels.
3. Use a fork to shred the peels by applying pressure scraping the prongs lengthways down the banana peel until it begins to shred (see video below).
4. Saute peels with chili powder, smoked paprika, mustard, cumin, and garlic. Use veggie broth to prevent sticking.
5. Add in 1/4 a cup of MamaSezz Original BBQ Sauce and heat.
6. Enjoy on top of a sandwich, over nachos, or on your MamaSezz Mama's Mac.
Use code: CHEF for 10% off whole food plant based meals delivered from www.MamaSezz.com
Caroline is a plant-based chef, recipe designer, and whole food plant-based nutrition educator, with a Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate from the T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies.