After a full day of learning, kids need a tasty and nutritious pick-me-up. With this in mind, here are some delightful whole food plant-based after-school snacks that will keep them energized and feeling great!
6 whole food plant-based after-school snacks
1. Homemade energy bars
Firstly, when it comes to whole food plant-based after-school snacks, give store-bought snacks a miss! For example, try making your own energy bars with oats, nuts, seeds, and dried fruits. Moreover, these bars are easy to prepare and can be customized with your favorite ingredients.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup nuts (almonds, walnuts, or your choice)
- 1/4 cup seeds (chia, flax, pumpkin, etc.)
- 1/2 cup dried fruits (raisins, dates, apricots, etc.)
- 1/4 cup nut butter (peanut, almond, or cashew)
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine the rolled oats, nuts, seeds, and dried fruits.
- In a separate bowl, mix the nut butter, mashed bananas, vanilla extract, and cinnamon (if using).
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients until well incorporated.
- Press the mixture firmly into the baking dish to form an even layer.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown.
- Allow the bars to cool completely before cutting them into desired sizes.
- Store in an airtight container for a week or refrigerate for longer shelf life.
2. Veggie hummus dippers
Secondly, for a crunchy and savory treat, chop up colorful veggies like carrots, cucumbers, and bell peppers. After that, pair them with a scoop of hummus for a delightful dipping experience. Even more, it's a great way to sneak in those veggies!
3. Fruit skewers with nut butter dip
Furthermore, make snack time colorful and exciting with fruit skewers. Thread pieces of juicy fruits like berries, melon, and grapes onto skewers. Also, don't forget the nut butter dip for a touch of protein and healthy fats.
4. Crunchy chickpea snackers
Another option for fans of the crunch: roasted chickpeas are the ultimate crispy snack! For variety, toss cooked chickpeas with a sprinkle of your favorite spices, then bake at 400 until they're golden and crunchy, about 10 minutes. Kids will love the satisfying crunch!
5. Apple slices with cinnamon
A classic for a reason! Slice up some fresh apples and sprinkle a pinch of cinnamon for a classic and nutritious snack. Furthermore, the natural sweetness of apples paired with the warmth of cinnamon is simply delightful. For added protein, dip in your favorite nut butter.
6. MamaSezz Not-a-Cookies
Lastly, indulge in guilt-free sweetness with MamaSezz Not-a-Cookies! These whole food plant-based treats are made with wholesome ingredients like oats, dates, and chocolate chips. With this in mind, they're perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth without refined sugar.
Healthy whole food plant-based after-school snacks for students (that are actually doable)
In conclusion, choosing nutrient-rich snacks over processed alternatives is a simple way to support your kids' well-being. These whole food plant-based snacks are not only delicious but also packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber. By involving your kids in preparing and assembling these snacks, you're teaching them the importance of making health-conscious choices from a young age.
So, let's make after-school snacking a joyful and health-promoting experience for our little ones! Try out these nutrient-rich vegan kids' snacks and watch them refuel, recharge, and thrive.