Running out of lunch ideas as your fridge empties out? Try this "everything but the kitchen sink" vegan sandwich idea. It's made up of 50% balsamic sautéed veggies and 50% raw veggies -- a great go-to formula for any cleaning out the fridge recipe and using up fresh produce before it goes bad.
(Not sure if you're storing your vegetables correctly? Here are our pro tips for how to the store 10 fruits and veggies with long shelf lives.)
Whatever is in your refrigerator!
Here are some suggestions for the ultimate clean out the fridge vegan sandwich:Vegetables to cook:
Whole grain bread
Oil-free sauce or dressing
1. Select your "to cook" veggies then heat them in a skillet on medium heat, with in a little water. Let brown. (Stir every so often to keep from sticking to the pan.)
2. Once the vegetables are tender, add a little minced garlic or garlic powder, a few splashes of balsamic vinegar, and a little water to deglaze the pan.
3. Cook off the balsamic vinegar.
4. Top 100% whole grain bread with the raw veggies from the raw veggies list -- and your cooked veggies.
5. Place the sandwich in a dry pan and cook until bread begins to brown.
6. Toss a little more balsamic vinegar on one of the slices of bread, and brown the other side.
7. Slice and enjoy.
By Caroline DiNicola Fawley
Caroline is a plant-based chef, recipe designer, and whole food plant-based nutrition educator, with a Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate from the T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies.