Clean-out-the-fridge easy vegan sandwich recipeWritten by MamaSezz Team
Running out of lunch ideas as your fridge empties out? Try this "everything but the kitchen sink" vegan sandwich idea. It's made up of 50% balsamic sautéed veggies and 50% raw veggies -- a great go-to formula for any cleaning out the fridge recipe and using up fresh produce before it goes bad.
(Not sure if you're storing your vegetables correctly? Here are our pro tips for how to the store 10 fruits and veggies with long shelf lives.)
Whatever is in your refrigerator!
Here are some suggestions for the ultimate clean out the fridge vegan sandwich:Vegetables to cook:
- Chopped broccoli
- Brussel sprouts
- Red onion
Whole grain bread
- When choosing a bread, avoid refined white breads and look for whole grain options. We love Food for Life: Ezekiel Bread. Or skip the bread altogether and opt for oil-free tortillas, grilled portobello mushroom caps, or lettuce wraps.
Oil-free sauce or dressing
- Don't want to make your sauce? Get ready-made favorites from MamaSezz like MamaSezz Vegan Ranch Dressing or MamaSezz Mama's Mac Sauce.
- Or whip up one of these easy oil-free salad dressings.
1. Select your "to cook" veggies then heat them in a skillet on medium heat, with in a little water. Let brown. (Stir every so often to keep from sticking to the pan.)
2. Once the vegetables are tender, add a little minced garlic or garlic powder, a few splashes of balsamic vinegar, and a little water to deglaze the pan.
3. Cook off the balsamic vinegar.
4. Top 100% whole grain bread with the raw veggies from the raw veggies list -- and your cooked veggies.
5. Place the sandwich in a dry pan and cook until bread begins to brown.
6. Toss a little more balsamic vinegar on one of the slices of bread, and brown the other side.
7. Slice and enjoy.
8. Optional: Add your favorite oil-free salad dressing, like MamaSezz vegan ranch dressing or one of these easy no oil dressing recipes.
By The MamaSezz Team
← Older Post Newer Post →