Feel that autumnal nip in the air? Up here in New England we can hardly wait for colorful leaves, thick socks, flannels, apple picking, and of course, comfort foods! This creamy, thick, roasted butternut squash dairy-free cream sauce carries a hint of sage and a little heat. It's the perfect dinner for crisp fall evenings with a warm cup of freshly pressed cider. And did I mention this vegan recipe is also cholesterol-free, gluten-free, and absolutely mouth-watering?
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: Oven-50 minutes, stove top- 15 to 20 minutes
1 cups of diced butternut squash
1/2 a sweet onion, diced
4 cups of veggie broth
1 cup non-dairy milk
4 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon sage
1/2 cup of cashews
A pinch of salt
a pinch of pepper
a pinch of parsley
a pinch of red pepper flakes
1 lb of whole-grain pasta
OPTIONAL: Shiitake mushrooms, pumpkin seeds
TIME SAVER: Skip the blender and instead of cashews, use 3/4 a cup of MamaSezz Mama's Mac Sauce.
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Toss butternut squash, onion, and garlic cloves in 1/2 a cup of veggie broth and place on a baking sheet. OPTIONAL: Toss sliced shiitake mushrooms in broth as well, but leave separated on the baking sheet.
3. Bake for 50 minutes. Add a little extra veggie broth after 20 minutes.
4. Soak: cashews, 1 cup of veggie broth, and spices until cashews are soft (soak while veggies are roasting)
5. Blend together in a high-speed blender until creamy: Roasted butternut squash, onion, garlic, cashew mixture, 1 cup of veggie broth, 1 cup of non-dairy milk. Pour into a large stove top pot.
6. Add 1 pound of uncooked whole grain pasta into the pot, and let simmer until pasta is al dente. Add water if needed. Remove from heat.
7. Optional: Top with the roasted mushrooms and/or pumpkin seeds
Caroline is a plant-based chef, recipe designer, and whole food plant-based nutrition educator, with a Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate from the T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies.