Oil-Free Mushroom Stuffed Tomatoes Recipe
I love fall but I sure will be sad to see tomato season end! This oil-free recipe lets you take advantage while you still can! One of the best parts about eating a whole food plant based diet is that almost any vegetable can be stuffed with almost any other vegetable...and it will taste phenomenal! And this mushroom-stuffed tomato recipe is no exception. All you need is delicious ripe tomato and the right spices and you've got yourself one delightful late summer meal.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 2 stuffed tomatoes
1 large vine ripe tomato
1 cup of walnuts, finely chopped or pulsed in blender
8 baby bella mushrooms, finely chopped or pulsed in blender
1 large clove of garlic, minced
1 TBS of tamari
½ tsp of paprika
¼ tsp of oregano
½ tsp of ground flaxseed
¼ tsp of freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup of water
Fresh basil for garnish
Preheat oven to 350
- Slice the tomato in half, and scoop out the center
- Place on a non-stick baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes
- Cook mushrooms in a few TBS of water until soft
- Add garlic, walnuts, flax and spices and cook for an additional 2 minutes
- Add water and cook until seasonings, nuts and mushrooms begin to simmer together (about 3 minutes)
- Once tomatoes are cooked, stuff each tomato with half of the filling
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes
- Garnish with black pepper and fresh basil
By Caroline DiNicola Fawley
What you should do now
- We have been where you are and we’ve helped thousands of people (just like you) transition to eating a plant based diet. If you are looking for a guide that can help you with some of the big questions, and dramatically reduce your stress, this FREE Ultimate Little Guide to Plant-Based Eating is a great place to start.
- If you’d like to learn about plant-based living go to our Heartbeet Journal where you can read hundreds of “How To” articles. If you’d like to learn about plant-based cooking go to our Recipes Section for easy step by step favorites.
- If you’d like to work for us—or see why our team members love working for us—then contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about yourself.
- If you enjoyed this article, then so will your friends, so why not share it on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Email